One beautiful Sunday afternoon, my son and I went out for our one-mile walk. We usually walk past the Book and Bible House, a block away from our house, then walk past the Paradise Valley Church and on to the Paradise Valley Hospital. Sometimes we walk by the San Diego Academy before returning home.
As we walked by the church, something told me to stop in and check the Cradle Roll (toddlers) class room before continuing on the walk. Why should I go in and check the Cradle Roll room? I asked myself puzzled by the strange request coming from my mind. We had never stopped at the Cradle Roll room during our walks, and there was no reason to stop now. Preparing and setting up the class room wouldn't be until Friday. That was at least five days away. But the impression to go and check the room now was so strong, it was almost audible. I couldn't ignore it. My son and I headed to the direction of the church and the attached building which housed the Cradle Roll class room.
The Cradle Roll class was conducted on Sabbath, the day before. Nothing unusual happened that I could remember. As the Head of the Cradle Roll Department, it was my responsibility after the class was over to make sure that everything was put away neatly and electrical equipment turned off. All this I had done, and I was not worried that anything was amiss.
However, as we opened the door to get inside, we smelled something burning. It was unmistakably an electrical burning odor that was quite strong. I checked the light switches and outlets. All seemed to be okay. At least nothing was in flames that I could see, and there was no smoke. I checked electrical appliances in the room. All seemed to be okay. There was an electric fan on the far corner that was turned off and seemed to be okay too. However, when I got closer, the electrical odor was stronger, almost overpowering. Then I saw it. The knob on the fan was on the ON position, and the cord was plugged into the outlet. The blades were not spinning, but the base of the fan was extremely hot to the touch.
I've wondered what would have happened if I had not been impressed to go in and check the Cradle Roll room. What if I ignored the 'voice in my head' that told me to go in and check the room. I was glad that I obeyed and went in and checked. I was able to avert a potentially disastrous situation by disconnecting a malfunctioning electric fan at the right time.
As we were leaving to continue on our walk, I paused momentarily to reflect on what had happened and, in awe, softly said to my son, Surely, the presence of the Lord is in this place!
"When thou passeth through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee." Isa 43:2.